According to various studies in America, Britain and Europe, 30 to 50 percent of women suffer from little to no sexual desire or sex drive. Also, 67 percent of women reported faking orgasm for variety of reasons.
These figures show that women’s sex drive issues are rising. If you are one of the many women who experience low libido, then there is good news for you: there are many female libido enhancer options you can try to get your sex drive and sex life back on track.
What are these libido boosters? Read along to find out.
1. Clear the Clutter: A Simple But Effective Female Libido Enhancer
How is your home, particularly your room, looking? If mess and your home are two concepts that always go together, then don’t be surprised if your libido starts to join the mess.
A messy bedroom equates to cognitive distraction. It turns out cognitive distractions, which are more common on women than on men, have direct effects on your self-esteem, sexual satisfaction, and ability and consistency in orgasm. Consequently, a mess reminds you of the things you haven’t done – unpaid bills, changing new sheets, and even paperwork you need to file.
To boost female sex drive, make sure you keep your room clean and clutter-free as much as you can. This will help you relax and make it easier to get in the mood for sex.
2. Address the Stress and Say Goodbye for Good
There are various reasons why your libido is missing in action – and stress will always be one of them. Stress releases cortisol, which in turn affects and disrupts the normal balance of your hormones, thereby affecting your sex drive. As a result, you tend to say no to sex, which could create a dent in your relationship.
The best way to go about this is to identify what causes your stress. Once you know what your life stressors are, find ways to deal with them to minimize your stress levels. At the same time, you can try these other techniques:
- Learn to say no at work, especially if your responsibilities are already too much to handle.
- Take a break whenever you can, for at least few minutes.
- Schedule vacation trips to allow you to relax and unwind.
- Add meditation techniques in your daily routine, such as tai chi or Yoga.
- Do something you love to help you relax.
- Treat yourself to a body massage, a haircut, a foot spa or even the movies.
The bottom line is address the stress and you will get your sex life back on track.
3. Prepare Early and Don’t Let the Economy Get in the Way
Financial concerns are among the most common issues that steals your sex drive. The uncertainty and worry that comes with it could also add to the equation.
Here’s what you should do: prepare early, especially in matters involving money. The economy is difficult to dissect and there is no assurance that you will stay in your job until you are ready to retire. Don’t let financial struggles get in the way and mess up your libido.
While you still can, save, save, and more importantly, keep saving consistently. At the same time, don’t forget to think of sex as a form of therapy, so you don’t have to worry about finances all the time.
4. Go for Red Wine and Only Red Wine When Drinking
Let’s say you are having a romantic dinner with your special someone or out with some friends on a Friday night. It might be tempting to order a frozen Margarita or a shot – or two – of vodka to get you up and moving. If you want a surefire women libido booster that is on the healthier side and won’t let you down in bed, then go for red wine.
According to a study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, women who drank red wine have higher levels of vaginal lubrication and sexual desire compared to women who don’t drink or preferred another drink.
You have to thank polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that is present in red wine. It widens your blood vessels, thereby increases blood flow to key arousal areas. This makes it easier for you to get in the mood.
A piece of advice: make sure you’ll stick to one glass of red wine. This is enough to get you in the mood. After all, finishing the entire bottle could extinguish your libido.
This is just the beginning. Keep on reading to know more about the other female libido enhancers, so make sure you’ll stick around until the end.
5. Yoga: A Natural Female Libido Enhancer Worth Trying
You already know the devastating effects of stress on your sex life. Thankfully, there are many ways that could help you address stress and get back on track. One of them is yoga.
It turns out that yoga addresses not only stress but also your diminishing libido. According to a review published in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, yoga is more than just getting you limber. In fact, it helps you boost your libido, because it makes you more familiar with your body. This gets you more in touch with your sexuality.
That’s not all. Yoga could also improve your ability to orgasm by increasing blood flow in key areas, including what’s down there. This will surely make sex more pleasurable.
In other words, you don’t need a female Viagra toget your libido up and running. If there are Yoga classes near you, go ahead and get that opportunity.
6. Say Yes to Date Nights to Enhance Your Sex Drive
How often do you go out with your partner? If you rarely find time to go out for a date, that could be the reason why your sex drive is going down the drain.
Date nights are designed to help couples find time for each other and reconnect as a couple. It helps bring that emotional connection back to the table – a component crucial to your sex drive. At the same time, date nights allow you to sit down and enjoy each other’s company.
Therefore, schedule date nights regularly with your man. It could be a romantic dinner in a restaurant or watching a movie in your pajamas while your kids are sleeping. The important thing is you spend time with each other as a couple and bring the emotional connection and intimacy back in the bedroom.
This leads us to the next tip.
7. Scare Yourself: Surprising Libido Boosters You Shouldn’t Miss
Dinner dates and movie nights are tried-and-tested techniques that could help stimulate intimacy in your relationship. If you want to bring something new in the table, then here is something worth trying: doing adrenaline-pumping activities.
A 2011 study revealed that adrenaline-pumping activities trigger your SNS or sympathetic nervous system. The higher your SNS level is, the higher the genital arousal, hence an effective women libido booster.
Here are some ideas you can try:
- Watch a suspense movie together.
- Consider extreme activities like zip-lining or bungee jumping
- Ride a roller coaster with your man.
- Take surfing lessons together.
Aside from adding new flavor to your relationship, these activities also boost your libido and help you get back on track.
8. Check Your Meds and Replace Them with Female Libido Supplements
Your medications were there for a reason: it addresses any medical conditions and at the same time, minimizes the symptoms of your illness. Here’s the catch: it might be the reason why your libido is missing in action.
The truth is there are medications that affect your sex drive and mood inside the bedroom. This includes:
- Blood pressure medications
- Hair loss pills
- Anti-seizure drugs
- Beta blockers
- Opioid medications
- Anti-anxiety drugs
If you are taking any of these medications and noticed a decrease in your sex drive, consult your doctor about it and ask for alternatives. There might also be healthier meds or herbal supplements you can take, so make sure you consult about it first.
Speaking of medication, read below to understand how this particular pill affects the female sex drive.
9. Defining Irony: Birth Control Pills as a Libido Suppresser
Birth control pills allow you to have and enjoy sex, sans the worry of getting pregnant. Here’s the twist: your hormonal birth control pills might be the reason why you are not in the mood.
You might ask why.
Oral contraceptives lower the level of your sex hormones, including testosterone. This is crucial because your body needs the right balance of hormones to make sure your libido is up and running. Consequently, hormone-based birth control increases sex hormone binding globulin that reduces the T levels in your body.
You can still enjoy sex without worrying about getting pregnant. An intrauterine device or IUD is a good option. Otherwise, you can go for the trusted condom or calendar method. The important thing is every woman must find a birth control method that works without compromising her sex drive.
10. A Couple Who Works Out Together, Stays Together
Exercise brings tons of benefits. It helps you lose excess pounds, keeps you fit, gets your heart pumping, and keeps you healthy. Did you know that exercising regularly could enhance women’s sex drive? This is one of the reasons why Yoga is among the many female libido enhancers.
Here’s how exercise helps in boosting your sex drive:
- Enhances genital arousal and other forms of physiological sexual arousal.
- Increases body awareness through bodily sensations.
- Helps reduce stress, a perennial libido killer.
- Improves your body’s physical appearance, which could be an instant boost to your confidence level.
Here’s a tip you should consider: exercise with your man. It turns out that your man’s sweat releases androstadienone, a type of pheromone that affects a woman’s mood – in a good way.
If you can, add “workout” in your Date Night list. You might find yourself hitting the showers together after you workout. too.
11. Don’t Forget Your Herbs to Increase Your Libido in Bed
Libido supplements are selling like hotcakes these days. This is because of their promise that they could help boost female sex drive while ensuring your health. If you look at these pills closely, you will notice that most female libido supplements contain herbs and other natural ingredients.
In case you need a boost inside the bedroom, here are the libido-enhancing herbs you can try:
- Maca Root – This herb is high in iodine that helps balance hormones, and zinc, which is an essential mineral for production of sex hormones.
- Damiana – This is a favorite and among the highly-prized libido enhancers. It helps increase blood flow in important areas in your body, especially in the pelvic area. This also boosts sensitivity down south for heightened stimulation.
- L-Arginine – This amino acid dilates clitoral blood vessels to increase blood flow in erogenous zones and improve arousal.
- Muira Puama – When it comes to supporting your sexual and reproductive health, this herb won’t fail. It increases your desire, libido, and orgasm for a more pleasurable sexual experience.
- Tribulus Terrestris –Also called puncture vine, this plant helps improve desire, arousal, orgasm, and lubrication for overall sexual function.
There are few more herbs, but these five should be present in case you decide to go for natural enhancement pills.
Now that you know the herbs that boost your sexual desire, read the next section to know how important your diet is in increasing your libido.
12. Eat Healthy and Wisely and Your Sex Drive Will Knock at Your Door
After a long day at work, you might be tempted to order Chinese takeout or pizza, or go for McDonald’s since you don’t have enough energy to cook. This is fine, as long as you don’t do it everyday. If you seldom add healthy foods in your diet and always go for cholesterol-rich meals, then it’s no surprise that your sex drive will also suffer.
The question is why.
Cholesterol builds up on the walls of your arteries, including the walls in your pelvic area. This restricts blood flow down south, thereby reducing sensation in your genitals. This makes orgasm more challenging and makes sex less pleasurable and exciting. Aside from this, high-cholesterol diet could contribute to cardiovascular problems that could also impact your sex drive.
Therefore, eat healthy and choose your foods wisely. You can start with these foods:
- Fruits like watermelon
- Vegetables, including leafy greens
- Fiber-rich foods such as whole grains, whole wheat, and barley
- Low-fat dairy
- Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, trout, and herring
- Lean meat
Aside from this, there is another food you can eat, which will surely make your sweet tooth happy.
13. Keep Calm and Eat Dark Chocolate to Boost Female Sex Drive
If you are a chocolate lover, then there is good news for you. Chocolate, particularly dark chocolate is good for your body and keeps your sexual desire happy.
What’s in a chocolate and its relationship with sex drive?
According to a study, chocolates release serotonin and phenylethylamine, hormones that come with aphrodisiac and mood-lifting effects. Consequently, eating chocolate releases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is critical for desire and motivation. This also works well with serotonin, thereby boosting your mood.
Here’s the catch: make sure you stick to chocolates with at least 70 percent cocoa content. Your favorite bar of milk chocolate won’t do that much down south.
Aside from watching what you eat and kicking stress away from your system, your emotional state and attitude towards sex are also crucial if you want to improve your sex life. The succeeding sections will tell you more about it.
14. Talk: A Simple But Powerful Way to Improve Your Sex Life
How often do you spend time, sit down and talk to your partner? If you rarely converse, then it’s not surprising if your libido is going down the drain.
In other words, make time for conversation. This allows you to talk about anything under the sun. While you’re at it, take this opportunity to discuss about your issues as a couple and find solutions to those problems. The more you talk and open up, the more you are able to build trust and breed more honesty in the relationship. This leads to a better sex life, too.
Go ahead and talk. You need this to improve your sex life and also your relationship in general.
15. Surprise Your Man and Initiate Sex Whenever You Can
How many times do you initiate sex? Admit it. Most of the time, your man sends signal that he wants to do the deed and you simply follow his lead.
If you want to improve your sex life, then here is something you should do: initiate sex. It makes your man feel that he is still wanted and desirable in your eyes. At the same time, initiating sex could take him by surprise, which is an instant turn on.
Here are some ideas you can try to initiate romance:
- Send him sexy, flirty messages while dropping hints about your intention.
- Give compliments about the way he looks.
- Put your message into writing.
- Send non-verbal cues like kissing him passionately or stroking his arm.
- Try an afternoon delight.
16. Confidence: A Female Libido Enhancer That Works Wonders
There will be instances when you don’t feel good about yourself or you don’t feel pretty. That’s fine. It is a different case if your confidence level is taking a dip most of the time. In fact, this could be the reason why you are not in the mood every time your partner asked for it.
Your sex drive and confidence level are two things that go together. How you feel about yourself will show inside the bedroom. This means if you like what you are seeing in the mirror, you are likely to feel more confident about your body.
Here are tips to help you boost your confidence level:
- Know and accept your strengths and weaknesses.
- Be prepared at all time.
- Learn to admit and accept your mistakes and treat them as a learning opportunity.
- Accept compliments in a humble manner.
- Learn to compliment yourself.
- Stay away from any negativity and instead, embrace positivity.
- Try your best to stay cheerful and maintain a positive outlook in life.
- Make your own gratitude list to remind you of the things you should be thankful for.
It takes baby steps to be able to rebuild your confidence. Once you learn how to boost your confidence, your sex drive will follow because you feel better about yourself.
17. When All Else Fails, Don’t Hesitate to Consult a Doctor or a Sex Therapist
Even without the female Viagra, the tips you learned above could help you boost your sex drive and get you back on track. In spite of this, there are instances wherein these techniques won’t work and your sex life is still missing in action.
In that case, schedule a trip to the doctor or sex therapist, depending on the nature of cause of your low libido. This way, you can identify the culprit and find appropriate and corresponding solutions to better address the issue.
Don’t worry. There is a higher possibility that the doctors have heard this type of issue before. There is nothing to be ashamed of, as sexual issues are common these days.
The loss of female sex drive is a result of many factors. If you find yourself in a situation where your libido has gone M-I-A, remember these 17 techniques on how to boost your sexual desire to help you get back on track.
Don’t forget to choose a favorite female libido enhancer tricks and make sure to stick to it. Consistency is key when it comes to addressing your issues down there.